Sunday, April 17, 2011

Don't Limit Yourself to One Style of Music!

Do you listen to one type or style of music or do you mix it up?

I like a lot of different styles of music. All my life it seems that my friends and family, or at least most of them, only listen to one type of music. I could never be that way because there is just so much music out there and so many different styles to choose from. When friends and family gather at my house (or ride in the car with me) they often comment about my choice in music.

Just a few days ago I was listening to a list of tunes on my computer. Tunes by Disturbed, Black Sabbath and Korn played then suddenly Frank Sinatra was heard singing about New York City. But that's the way I am when it comes to music.

Naturally one of my favorite types of music is classic rock from the 1960s and 1970s like Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc. Great stuff and one of the best time periods ever in the history of music. Even these days, 40 to 50 years later, a lot of the younger generation is getting turned on to this classic music.

I love the older country music too. Greats like Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and Buck Owens are among my favorite artists. To be honest I don't care too much for most of the current "pop" country and see little originality in it. Occasionally someone like Keith Whitley or Randy Travis comes along to regenerate country music but those guys are few and far between.

While I would find it very difficult to name my top favorite music, (either genre, band or artist) bluegrass would definitely be at the top of the list. I love attending bluegrass festivals and hearing the live music and meeting some of the musicians. I think there is an energy and feeling in live bluegrass that is unique.

Whatever type of music you listen to you should always be open to explore and experience other types. Don't limit yourself to only one genre of music! I think most people would find that they like a little bit of this and that. I even like some of Snoop Dogg's stuff though generally I dislike rap and hip hop. I like classical piano, Big Band music like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman and even old rag time like Scott Joplin. If you open up your ears and investigate all the different music out there I have no doubt that everyone would find things they like.

No comments:

Post a Comment