Thursday, April 7, 2011

Embroidered Patches and the "Good Ole" Days

When I was a kid a lot of us wore a denim jacket covered in embroidered patches, sometimes we used iron ons too. Some kids looked like political billboards, others all flowers and smilies, and others (like myself) preferred to display their favorite rock bands. We often traded patches back and forth or for other things.

I no longer have my jacket but I remember it well. On the back was a huge patch showing Led Zeppelin. The front and sleeves were covered with the likes of AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath and all the old greats.

Other than Rock and Roll groups another type of embroidered patches that were (and still are) popular was the "Biker" stuff. Elements like skulls and crossbones, motorcycle logos, knives and daggers, even dragons. Of course the rock and roll stuff sort of crossed over with the biker stuff for lots of great artwork.

Another favorite patch style of mine was Big Daddy Roth and the Rat Fink. Remember Rat Fink? Ahh the good old days...

Now I am an "old man" and in recent times I have noticed that the younger generation is getting back into embroidered patches. Even more than that it seems 'they' are going back to the 1960s and 1970s for all sorts of stuff; music, clothing styles, even the slang is coming back!

I have always known that the 1960s and 1970s were some of the coolest years ever. Sure there were problems but there are always problems. I am talking about the styles and the music and not politics anyway.

Has a generation ever went back to the times of their grandparents for their styles? I don't think so, at least not on a wide scale like we are seeing these days!

2 comments:

  1. I have noticed the same exact thing! Which is great for me, because I can bring out my clothes and pants with the embroidered patches on them and take the patches off and put them on my daughters. She is absolutely in love with some of the ones we have found so far. And I enjoy reliving the 'good ol' days"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Aside from biker patches, martial arts patches are still very popular. They are a great way to show pride and dojo.

    ReplyDelete